How Does God Speak?
3 Ways God Has Spoken to Me – part 1
by Janis Cox
This week was filled with surprises. Three distinct times I have heard God speak to me.
Today is Week 1 of How Does God Speak?
God Speaks Through His Words
The first time I heard Him came from a card given to me by a friend. The cover pictured a hand spade filled with seeds. Inside were these words:
“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
And the Scripture given inside the card said:
“Sow righteousness for yourselves,
reap the fruit of unfailing love,
and break up your unplowed ground;
for it is time to seek the Lord,
until he comes
and showers his righteousness on you.” (Hosea 10:12 NIV)
God continued in the next few days to plant seeds in me and also to inspire me to continue to write for Him – thereby planting seeds in my readers.
And the word seed seemed to come from many directions. In conversation I would hear the word seed, sow, plant – wow!
Then my friend gave me my own Scripture from the Psalms:
“I run in the path of your commands,
for you have broadened my understanding.” (Psalm 119:32 NIV)
The word path stood out. Following the path that God sets before me – not deviating from the path but walking straight and sure.
To top off my week, the sermon on Sunday was about SEEDS and PATH. Could that be any clearer?
What words have you heard from God this week? Pick up your Bible, start to read – what jumps out at you. Stop and listen. God could be speaking to you.
This song by MercyMe says the same: “Word of God Speak”
Father, we thank You for the Word. We thank you that you talk to us through the words in the Bible and the words of others. We thank you for confirmation of those words. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
My Gratitude List for this week – counting to 2000 – I am at 1495
- meeting people in our neighbourhood on our walks – being offered seeds to put in our ditch to make it prettier
- little bird bathing on the porch – so cute
- “There is no condition in life in which we cannot abide in Jesus” (Oswald Chambers, June 12).
- being filled with anticipation of what God has in store for Write! Canada
- bouncing grandbaby in bouncer chair and watch him fall asleep
- reading the Bible to grandbaby while he sat in my arms
- my friend okay to travel with me after bad reaction to shots for going overseas
- books didn’t arrive in time for the conference – but I sold 5 anyway!
- beautiful weather for the conference
- given a personal Scripture – Psalm 119:32
- my friend coming to early morning prayer time – first time in 10 years coming to the conference
- new friends
- a Happy Fathers’ Day – I let him “be” for the day
- remembering little things at conference – red cardinal on the porch, beautiful gardens
- being aware of the seeds that God is planting all around and in me
- hearing His voice, stepping out and connecting with someone with whom there had been a barrier
- the reading Oswald Chambers about being reckless – stepping out
- many ideas – sometimes too many but exciting
- “the real business of your life as a saved soul is intercessory prayer” (Oswald Chambers, June 20 )
- “Word of God speak” by MercyMe
- awesome weather for a boat ride (forgot my camera) – we saw an adorable duck family – ducklings so tiny trying to keep up to Mom