by Jan Cox
What has previously been a four hour flight to Phoenix, turned into a nine hour flight via Calgary – then a flight to Los Angeles – and finally after missing that connection – a hotel room and a flight the next day. What could have been 4 hours took more than 24 hours.
Even though I am extremely tired and a little disoriented – I did continue through all this with my year of TRUST. I kept praying little breath prayers, “in your will, Lord”; “give me strength and energy”. And I kept calm, yes very calm.
There was a group of seven passengers who had been rerouted and all of us remained calm. That was a blessing.
Now that isn’t to say that I won’t get in touch with Air Canada, because in every missed flight it was Air Canada’s fault (not the weather). In each case they kept telling us, “if you hurry you will make the connection.” And in each case there was no hope that we would make it. All that effort – pulling the carry-on, running – and it was impossible to make the connection.
As I take a look at that day here is what I have found. Sometimes no matter what we do and how hard we try, it might not go the way we hoped.
But – and here is what I am finally figuring out – that is okay. I remember Ann Voskamp’s words “life is not an emergency”. Breathe in Christ. And I do and I remain calm and at peace.
There was no point in raising the emergency flag as all these things were beyond my control – and speaking of control – why is it always about my controlling things?
- God is in control – not me.
- Remain calm and trust God so I can be at peace in all situations
Personal breath prayers for others while I waited. Listen to Him while I waited. Breathing in the breath of God.
Lots to be thankful for as you will see in my gratitude list.
Thank You Lord for being there on my trip from Canada. Thank You through all the missed connections that I could rest in You and trust You to figure things out. Thank You for the wonderful people I met on my journey. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
My Gratitude List for this week. Counting up to 1000 – I am at 940.
- Peace in the midst of the storm of confusing emotions about my Mom
- Long term facility opening up for Mom
- Everything put in motion for the move for Mom
- Getting a reasonably priced flight home to Canada
- An understanding husband
- A loving sister who found movers quickly
- Time with my sister
- A safe trip home and back
- Putting everything in place for my Mom
- My sister’s positive spirit
- God “working graciously behind the scenes” (Genesis 24:1-14, The Message)
- Great sleeps
- Missed airline connections as I met wonderful people
- The gentleman pilot on the US Air flight – great conversation
- The 24-hour travel allowing me to live in the moment and trust You, Lord
- A welcome home from Snowball and hubby
- My morning prayer time and peace
- Excitement about 3 day art course coming up
- Seeing the first egret of the season
- Wisdom of Financial Peace University – Dave Ramsey’s course
- Jet lag abating and head clearer
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. She also writes at A Better Way. Jan is working on a couple children’s books in which she is also the watercolour illustrator.