Sunday Stillness – Six Important Things to Remember When Studying Scripture
I am taking a little break from studying Titus. We are preparing in the next couple of weeks to relocate back home to Haliburton. This always takes more thought and time than I realize.
Today for Sunday Stillness, I will tell you about the study I have been in for the last 3 weeks. We have been reading and studying through passages that tell us about God and the Gospel. We been asked to find the answers to these questions:
- What do you learn about God?
- What do you learn about man?
- What do you learn about the Gospel?
It has been a lot of reading, underlining and prayer to try to understand all of this.
This week our questions are:
- What is the bad news for which the Good News (the Gospel) is the remedy?
- Write 2-3 sentences to answer the question: What is the Gospel?
Here are the references we used, if you want to try this exercise:
John 1:1-18, 3:1-36, 6:25-40, 10:20-50
Romans 1:1-32, 3:9-31, 4:1-7:6
1 Corinthians 15:1-11
2 Corinthians 5:1-21
Galatians 1:1-17, 2:11-21, 3:1-4:11
Ephesians 1:1-2:22, 4:1-5, 17-24,5:1-21
Philippians 1:1-11, 3:1-11
Colossians 1:1-23, 2:6-15, 3:1-17
We were given 6 important things to remember when studying Scripture:
1. Prayer – It is always important to ask God first to open the Scripture for you.
2. The Context – Always consider the context. Don’t take a passage out of the context to try to get it to fit your point of view.
3. Background – Use the 5 Ws, where, what, why, when, who. Find out the culture of the times, the idioms and the history.
4. Different Translations: Read through different translations.
5. Cross-references – These are other verses that correspond to the verse you are studying. Check them out.
6. Commentaries – First work on the passage by yourself and ask God to help you figure it out. Next check at least 3 commentaries (expert opinions) and then compare with your thoughts.
Father, it is so important that we study your Word. We thank You that we can ask You to help us. We also thank other experts who have gone before us to help us to understand more fully what we read. Help us as we continue to grow closer to You. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
I will tell you next week what I have found out. In the meantime tell me what you think about this type of study.
Have a wonderful Sunday Stillness.
TODAY IS SUNDAY STILLNESS.
Please link your post about what God has been teaching you. And please remember to visit your neighbour, leave comments and get to know more people in this group. We are a growing community of believers.
Janis is the author of the award winning children’s book, Tadeo Turtle, published by Word Alive Press. Available in Kindle Format, in bookstores, online and from her website. Curriculum available upon request.
Welcome to the Linky Directory. Please follow the instructions after you click ENTER.