Did You Pray?
by Janis Cox
Storms gripped the eastern parts of North America. Eighty million people were affected. New York City – closed down – schools, offices, subways, stock exchange. Unprecedented.
West Coast hit with earthquakes and aftershocks.
What did people do?
Prayers of Protection
Lessening of the Storm
Preparation for Helpers
Hearts of Caring
God listened and He answered:
The storm was downgraded from a hurricane status.
“Hurricane Sandy was downgraded to a post-tropical cyclone late Monday.”
Governments were prepared. President Obama was praised by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
“President Barack Obama won glowing praise for his “wonderful” handling of superstorm Sandy Tuesday from a fierce foe who backs Mitt Romney, as political reverberations of the storm began to be felt.”
Measures were taken in advance of the storm. Schools closed. Subways closed. And a good thing because those subways were flooded and won’t open for a few more days.
Loss of life was minimal when you consider the spread and ferocity of the storm. There are estimates of 50-80 killed in the US, one in Canada [at the time of writing this post.]
God tell us in His Word to cry out to Him.
“The urgent request of a righteous person is powerful in its effect” (James 5:16 NIV)
We had more traffic on Tuesday to this blog than ever before. People are searching for answers.
God is the answer.
Now we can:
Continue to be thankful
Count the blessings (every one – tiny and big)
Mourn for those who died
Pray for families who lost loved ones
Continue to pray.
Let’s get a revival going. God wants us to talk to Him.
If you haven’t done so – START NOW
Continuing to Count my Blessings – every little one
- I was led to find a new Bible study group – Bible Babes
- smiles of cashiers
- finding a lap board for my studying
- learning to wait three times in checkout lines
- meeting a new Canadian neighbour
- Beth Moore Study – James 5:13-16 PRAY
- a long chat with a friend – prayed together
- reading so many good books at once
- a middle of the night encounter with God
- being able to be here in this gorgeous weather
- praying for God to be “in the storm” – Hurricane Sandy
- praying for protection of lives
- seeing the herons around the lake
- another evening walk without a sweater
- seeing miracles in the lives of friends
- my books arrived
- Beth Moore quote: “A pair of hands clasped in earnest prayer is the best means we have this side of Heaven to hang onto Jesus for dear life.”
- seeing God working through the storms and earthquakes
- US counts cost as Sandy recedes (bbc.co.uk)
- Gov. Chris Christie says Obama deserves ‘great credit’ for Sandy response (thegrio.com)
- Storm-battered US East Coast assesses damage (sfluxe.com)
- Hurricane Sandy: Preparing for the worst, praying for the best (worldvision.org)
Janis, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator. Word Alive has published Tadeo Turtle. See more information at Jan’s Website.