How Can Satan Get a Hold of a Believer?
by Jan Cox
How Can Satan Get a Hold of a Believer?
I have always wondered about Judas, Jesus’ disciple that betrayed Him. Jesus chose him; he followed Jesus. So how could he betray Him?
I reread Luke 22:3:
“Then Satan entered Judas, called Iscariot, one of the Twelve”.
Now I ask – How can Satan get a hold of a believer?
I have been reading Spiritual Warfare by Dr. Jerry Piscopo and Dr. Sherill Piscopo. In Chapter 10 I learned quite a bit about this topic.
When we are born again, our Spirits are with Christ but our minds, bodies and souls remain earthbound. So in Judas’ case, he was led by his mind and his flesh – he always looked on the mission as power and money.
When Jesus rebuked him, after Mary had anointed Him, Judas was angry I am sure.
“”But one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, who was later to betray him, objected, “Why wasn’t this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year’s wages””(John 12:4-5 NIV).
I think he wanted to use the money for power. I wonder if helping the poor to him was ‘to be seen’ and not for the sake of the poor?
An entrance into our souls is made when we are not in line with Jesus – our minds, body and soul can be in opposition to our Spirit.
“So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law” (Galatians 5:16-18 NIV).
Judas was a normal guy whose mind saw the ‘greater earthly things’ rather than the heart of Jesus’ ministry. He couldn’t see or fathom the upside down world of Christ.
We need to remember John 10:10:
“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life,and have it to the full” (NIV).
Our prayers need to focus on the following:
- Be faithful
- Be on constant vigil
- Be self-controlled and alert
“Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8 NIV).
But do not fear – the battle is already won.
Lord, we know that our flesh is weak. We ask for strength to combat the things of this world that would take us away from the goals of Christ for us and for His Kingdom. Help us to watch out; help us to be faithful; help us to have self-control. In Jesus’ name. AMEN.
My Gratitude List for this week – as I count to 2000 – I am at 1836.
- new book launch by friend, Margaret Terry. Dear Deb – letters between two friends, one with cancer. Deb was a dear friend of mine.
- amazing story by Michael Bull Roberts – The Tender Heart of a Beast
- memories of my grandchildren helping to set the table
- beautiful lake sunrise emailed to me
Sunrise over Lake Kashagawigamog. God’s Handiwork.
- sunlight streaming through front windows – so bright
- reddish purple sky in the morning over the trees
Beautiful Sunrise in Haliburton
- studying Scripture
- getting ready for trip to Arizona
- wonderful Biblical Storytelling Conference – the colours tell it all
Biblical Storytelling Conference – On the Breath of God
- good friends
- family who care for us
- God at work in my family
- grandchildren help us take pictures for our new blog – Family and Faith Matters (coming soon)
- a new venture with Kimberley Payne
- good drive to Peterborough and back
- closing up our house and my NOT arguing with my hubby
- peaceful Sunday
- last church service in Haliburton for a while
- friends to drive us to Barrie
- good snuggle with grandbaby
- great plane ride and on time
- friend to pick us up
- sunshine – warm
- strength to shop and organize – jet lag not too bad
- deep deep sleep
- quiet morning to count blessings
- Satan Wants Your Happiness! (secretstolife.com)
- Learning from Judas’ Story (centeredupongrace.wordpress.com)
Jan, a former school teacher and small business owner, found a new passion in writing in her retirement. She has published two devotionals and a number of articles for magazines and a Bible study. She is owner of Under the Cover of Prayer and moderates the site. Jan has completed a children’s book called Tadeo Turtle. She is the watercolour illustrator. Word Alive will be publishing this story and it will be available October 2012. See more about Tadeo at Jan’s Website.